Happy Fourth of July!
We are laying low this weekend after a really insane couple of weeks. I apologize for leaving you all hanging for so long on the kitchen reveal. I really didn’t mean to. We got everything pretty much done the day before my parents came to visit over Memorial Day weekend and then from there it’s been one crazy week after another in terms of work, travel, etc. Throw in the fact that Mark’s computer bit the dust so he’s been using mine for schoolwork and well, there you have it. Again, I apologize. So we’re pretty much trying to stay off the grid this weekend and allow ourselves the chance to catch our breath and re-group. But I am thrilled that the downtime is allowing me to finally share with you the kitchen reveal!
So as you may have guessed, the kitchen is *basically* complete. We still need to install a backsplash, but pretty much everything else is done and I could not be happier with how it all came out. What do you think?
I did my best with the photos. The room is so small and it doesn’t get the best light, but I am in love how it looks and the functionality. It’s exactly what I wanted and I am very happy with all of my choices. But since you asked (you did ask right, Internets?), here are a few random thoughts on everything. There’s no real order to this so we’re going bullets.
- I am pleasantly surprised that the shiny chrome hardware doesn’t show fingerprints. I haven’t had to wipe them down once!
- The new range is amazeballs. So much better than what I had. The burners have so much more power and the griddle in the middle is very useful!
- Ditto for the venting. I haven’t really put this baby through its paces yet, but it did a great job with the onion smell as I caramelized two big onions over Memorial Day weekend for our burgers.
- It was also super awesome to be able to be using the broiler on one oven to melt cheese on the burgers while I kept the buns warm in the other oven. Seriously the double oven is so clutch for holiday meals.
- Being able to set each and every pot and pan I used completely flat in the new, single bowl sink made washing them so much easier!
- This set up above the fridge is so much more convenient that storing any of this stuff by stacking it in a cabinet. Just grab what you need and go!
- Although it is a tiny bit tricky to load all the silverware into the lower level of this drawer without it obstructing the upper drawer, the added storage is so nice!
- And last, but certainly not least, we have the pull-out double trash cans. So convenient I can’t stand it. Before my trash was all the way over to the left of the stove and transferring wet/messy items from the sink or counters was a pain and usually resulted in something falling on the floor. Now I can wipe the counters where I do most of my food prep directly into the trash by pulling the cabinet out. And scraps in the sink are a breeze to transfer as well. It’s love I tell you.
- I think the biggest surprise for me has been how much more functional this kitchen is now. Considering that we didn’t rearrange any plumbing or appliances, I am amazed at how much more counter space I have as well as the fact that there really is now two separate work stations. Adding the small counter area on the sun room wall really allowed for that and it’s a huge plus!
So that’s the big reveal. We have decided on a backsplash, but I don’t think we’ll have time to tackle that project anytime soon. Maybe over the winter? We would also like to add some open shelves on the wall above the counter in the photo above at some point. It just seems that our schedules aren’t allowing for much DIY these days.
But fear not, we have made some changes/progress in our master bedroom and I look forward to sharing those with you soon. In the meantime, have a wonderful holiday weekend!