Entirely Recovered

Over the Labor Day Weekend Mark and I tackled recovering the dining chairs.  The chairs came to us with a red toile fabric that wasn’t awful, but just didn’t go with the color scheme of the new sun room.

IMG_1200

A long time ago I order a bunch of swatches online.  We decided that grey would be a nice, complimentary neutral.  After looking them over we decided on this one and ordered up two yards.

Fabric Sample

You guys, this is the easiest project!  It took Mark and I less than an hour, we did it together, and no one used a swear word.  All we did was remove the seat pad from the chair using a screw driver to remove each screw.

IMG_1203 (768x1024)

Super Cool Side-Note:  This table and chairs was made in Tell City, Indiana, which is very close to the small town where Mark grew up.  This wouldn’t be that amazing if this table we from Mark’s side of the family, but it’s not!  As I have mentioned before, it was my late grandmother’s and my mom recalls her saving her pennies to buy this and how excited she was when I finally came all the way from Indiana to be hers.

IMG_1206 (768x1024)

Okay, back to the instructions.  Once we had the seat pad removed from the chairs, we places the pad on top of the fabric and measured how much we would need.

IMG_1207 (768x1024)

Since the fabric we chose was thick and you couldn’t see the old fabric underneath, we just went right over top with our new fabric.  We started with one of us holding the fabric straight while the other one used a staple gun to attach it to the wood.

IMG_1211 (768x1024)

Once the first side was stapled into place we did the opposite side by one of us stretching the fabric so it was taught and the other one stapling into place.

IMG_1212 (768x1024)

For the corners we folded the fabric like so

IMG_1223

And then added staples all along the creases to get a nice clean edge.

IMG_1218 (768x1024)

Here are all four chairs all recovered and happy!

IMG_1224

You may remember that we had a mirror in here before.

Old Mirror

It serves two purposes; it helps the room appear wider and it also covers up the window opening from the powder room. (Remember that this sun room is an addition to the original house so that used to be an exterior window.)

Our plan was to take the old mirror out of it’s original, cheap frame and create a frame out of the leftover barn board.  Mark got the mirror out of the frame and into the new one, but just as he was tightening one last screw to make sure the old mirror was firmly fastened into its new frame, CRACK!  The mirror broke. *Cue deflating balloon.*

So since the frame was already made, Mark found a glass place by his office and had a new mirror cut to those dimensions. We were more careful installing it this time and here is the finished product.

IMG_1228 (1024x900)

IMG_1227 (1021x1024)

So now both our sitting area and dining area are complete, that just leaves the bar area. Remember our plan here to use kitchen cabinets to create additional storage and a bar area.  On Sunday we braved the masses at IKEA and purchased the cabinets we needed to fill the space.  More on that process to come.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Entirely Recovered

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s